The coordinated, bi-partisan approach to reduce nutrient loads is the most significant catalyst for improving environmental performance in Iowa in a generation.
Effective solutions farmers are or can implement as part of the strategy are:
- Planting cover crops (31 percent nitrate reduction using rye)
- Installing bioreactors (43 percent nitrate reduction)
- Using nitrogen inhibitors (9 percent nitrate reduction)
- Using conservation tillage and no-till (33 percent and 90 percent phosphorus reduction, respectively)
- Restoring wetlands (52 percent nitrate reduction)