824 Flindt Dr #101
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Your Input Is Key to a Successful Watershed Plan
The North Raccoon River WMC is an alliance of local communities, counties, agencies and advocacy groups. The WMC was formed to address key issues within the 2,470 square miles of land which drains to the river and its tributaries. This area includes 57 incorporated communities and rural areas within portions of 15 Counties. The WMC is a voluntary association of these groups without any regulatory or taxing authority of its own.
The WMC has started an effort to create a Watershed Management Plan, to address issues such as flooding, erosion, water quality, resource protection and recreational enhancement. Earlier this year, the WMC contracted with the consultant team of Emmons & Olivier Resources (Boone / Oakdale, MN), RDG Planning and Design (Des Moines), and EcoSource (Des Moines) to provide guidance to this effort. The first step is an assessment of existing conditions, to draw focus to the problems the plan should address, note quality features to protect and begin to identify where improvements are most needed.
To do this, it is critically important that experiences are drawn on by those who know the watershed best. Those who live or work in this area, those who understand its history and those that have a special interest or knowledge surrounding local watershed issues. This will help validate what’s been learned about the watershed so that accurate information is used. Your involvement is key to development of a plan that is tailored to fit the people and landscape within the North Raccoon River Watershed. With your input, the final plan should be completed by April 2020.
4:30 – 4:45 Open time to review boards, ask questions, provide input
4:45 – 5:00 Presentation
5:00 – 6:00 Open time to review boards, ask questions, provide input
6:00 – 6:15 Presentation
6:15 – 6:30 Open time to review boards, ask questions, provide input
- The open house will be a less formal meeting where people can come and go as they please. Display boards with relevant information related to assessment information will be available for review. Members of the consultant team will be available to answer questions and receive feedback. 15-minute overviews of the planning effort will be presented by the consultant team at 4:45pm and 6:00pm.
- This invitation may be forwarded to anyone that you may know would have an interest in providing input to this planning effort.
- An event reminder will be provided to those who RSVP to this invitation.
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019 – 4:30pm to 6:30pm
- Click here for directions to the event in Storm Lake, Iowa.